Like a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis, Singapore has gone through a dramatic metamorphosis to become the vibrant metropolis of today. This year, the “Orchid Extravaganza” floral display tells the story of Singapore through the motif of a butterfly’s life cycle. Stunning orchids in myriad shapes and colours will fill a landscape depicting the stages of a butterfly’s growth, including a ‘Chrysalis’ structure in the main Flower Field.
Visitors can look forward to seeing orchid varieties such as Phalaenopsis, Vanda, Dendrobium, Grammatophyllum and many others. There will also be a sculpture of 52 butterflies - in celebration of Singapore's 52nd National Day - in the shape of Singapore. This floral display is put together by award-winning garden designer Peter Cheok, who has received numerous accolades for his works including at the Singapore Garden Festival and Ellerslie International Flower Show in New Zealand.
The Vanda 'Miss Joaquim' was chosen in 1981 to be Singapore's national flower for its vibrant colours and resilience, qualities that reflect the Singapore Spirit. The plant is named after Agnes Joaquim (1854 - 1899), an avid gardener and orchid breeder, as it was first found in her garden.
*Also known as Papilionanthe 'Miss Joaquim'.
The 'select type' dark-colored orchid (deep burgundy) symbolizes the black tonation of the Singapore National Butterfly, Common Rose (Pachliopta aristolochiae asteris) which will augur well with the theme of this year's show.
Local Promotion for National Day 2017 Terms and Conditions
- This promotion is applicable to the prevailing published Local Resident Rates for Single Conservatory and Double Conservatories, purchased from Gardens by the Bay’s ticketing counters. It is not applicable to tickets purchased online.
- Proof of residency is required upon purchase of tickets and admission to the conservatories.
- A maximum of 6 discounted tickets can be purchased per transaction.
- Admission ticket purchased is not refundable or exchangeable for cash, and is only valid on the day of entry.
- No claims will be entertained for lost, torn, defaced or expired tickets.
- This promotion is not valid for OCBC Skyway tickets, Garden Cruiser services, Friends of the Gardens annual memberships, and other offers and promotions.